Yoga Teacher Training in the Philippines
Enroll in our Yoga Alliance Registered 200-hour Yoga Teacher – Instructor Training Course and practice Hatha, Vinyasa and other forms of Yoga in the heart of laid-back General Santos City in Southern Philippines.
At Bodhi Yoga Center – “RYS 200 yoga teacher training school”, we believe that yoga is a lifestyle and that our practice doesn’t end when we leave the mat or the studio. We practice our yogic values in the way we work and play. And we take fun very seriously.
Spend a month-long immersion in the heart of laid-back General Santos City in Southern Philippines. Enjoy weekends (and maybe some weekdays) learning theory or practicing vinyasa or acroyoga by the white sand beaches of Sarangani Bay. Do water activities in your spare time such as scuba diving or snorkeling.
Sure, fun is there. But when we work, we work hard. We train from sunrise to sunset, studying a comprehensive syllabus to ensure that our trainees become compassionate and competent yoga teachers after graduation.
Techniques, Training and Practice
- This module consists of all the theory and practice sessions for safely learning asana, pranayama, kriya, bandha and meditation.
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics
- This module revisits the ancient roots of modern yoga. Popular yogic texts shall be discussed in context and contrast with the modern world. Lifestyle of yogis and ethics of yoga teachers shall also be discussed in detail.
Yoga Anatomy and Physiology
- This module tackles the structure and function of the human body, particularly the relationship of the breath and the spine in different physical movements. This course distinguishes yoga practice from calisthenics or gymnastics by emphasizing the incorporation of breath, movement and mindfulness. In this module, the relationship of the subtle energies to the physical body shall also be discussed.
Teaching Methodology & The Yoga Profession
- Teaching Methodology module takes on different elements of teaching such as creating a safe space for self-exploration, crafting sequences of asanas and pranayama practices, cueing students in their process of refinement, offering practical guidance in meditation, and offering examples for extending the practice off the mat.
- Find a purpose for your yoga practice and define a suitable path for your journey. Identify rewards and anticipate consequences of being a yoga teacher. Develop fundamental entrepreneurial skills to make your yoga career sustainable.
- Experience creating and leading your own class as a yoga teacher. Offer Seva (service) to those who have no access to yoga classes otherwise. Observe peers as they teach. Give and receive constructive feedback.
Whether you have the calling to teach others, or you are simply exploring your own practice, anyone can benefit from learning safe and correct methods to practice yoga postures, breathing, cleansing techniques and meditation.
Appreciate from an anatomical standpoint how these practices affect our physical and mental state. Learn how to modify postures to fit any type of body, and know that Yoga is indeed for everyone. Understand the correlation between the physical practice and the underlying philosophy and truly see that yoga is all-encompassing – it is life as we know it.
BODHI YOGA CENTER
Yoga Teacher Training in the Philippines
200-hours Yoga Alliance Registered Hatha & Vinyasa Yoga Training
July 9 – August 3, 2018 (1 spot remaining)
August 6-31, 2018 (6 spots remaining)
September 3-24, 2018 (8 spots remaining)
February 4 – February 25 (Registration not yet open)
March 4 – 25, 2019 (Registration not yet open)
Location: Bodhi Yoga Center, 025 A. Ramos Street corner Quirino Avenue, General Santos City, Philippines
Course Fees: includes airport transfers, welcome kit (canvas tote bag, journal, Bodhi shirt, water bottle), textbook, kriya kit, weekend excursions and Yoga Alliance certificate
Php 50,000 (non-residential course only)
Php 65,000 (shared twin room)
Php 70,000 (private room)
“My #VinyasaYTT was amazing because I met the most wonderful people with whom I shared many life-changing experiences. After our lectures in the studio, we tested out different theories and concepts on each other, and lifted each other up (both literally and figuratively!) I will always look back on my one-month sojourn in Mindanao with much love, happiness, and gratitude! #MindBodhiSoul
So excited for everyone signing up for this year’s training course!”
~ Stephanie Q., Manila
“It was good that we had lessons tackling yoga as a career because it gave us guidelines on what we can do after graduation.”
~ Poi D., Manila
“Thank you for being part of my ambivalent journey. A lot of times I have to question myself about life but you gave no judgment, hesitation nor doubt. Thank you for being patient and kind in every way. Namaste!”
~ Cindy C., Davao
You may also read the reviews of students in our regular studio classes on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/BodhiYogaCenter
You are required to attend 90% of the scheduled classes. If you shall be unable to attend a certain session, kindly inform your teacher in advance and request for a make-up session. When days are difficult and motivation is hard to come by, remember why you choose to be here.
Reading & Writing Assignments
Reading and researching topics prior to class discussion facilitates a productive learning process. You will be given reading assignments prior to each session. Feel free to do your own research when you come across any confusion. Kindly be diligent with your reading assignments to ensure a flowing exchange of information and opinion during discussion.
You will be required to keep a journal for the duration of the training. What you put in that journal will be solely for your private consumption. This journal is meant to help you process the information that is being passed down to you. You can write your initial questions and doubts in your journal. If your reading and own research are not enough to answer them, feel free to share your questions with your peers and teacher. Keep a section of your journal for yogic wisdom you would want to impart to your students someday. It may be an asana that helped get you through a tough time, or a breathing technique, or a philosophy that you live by.
- Teaching Yoga by Mark Stephens
- Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (any edition)
- Bhagavad Gita (any edition)
Your training will culminate with a community-based project or event which you will design with the group. Your project must showcase how the benefits of yoga can help an individual or a community.
Travel and Visa Information
Kindly check with your local Philippine mission regarding tourism requirements. Most passports can enter the Philippines visa-free for 30 days. If you require visa extension, this service is available in the Bureau of Immigration – General Santos City Office.
General Santos City has a domestic airport. One-way airport transfer from the airport will be provided for you by Bodhi Yoga Center. Please send us a copy of your confirmed itinerary ahead of time so we can make the necessary arrangements.
Depending on the package you selected, your course fee may include a shared or private accommodation with an attached bathroom. Housekeeping service is available upon request.
Meals may be arranged by Bodhi, depending on your package. For those whose meals are not included in the course fee, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance from the center. You may eat in one of the nearby restaurants or use the kitchen to prepare your own meals. Do remember to inform restaurant staff of your dietary preferences prior to ordering.
Transportation in and around General Santos
The main public transportation in General Santos City is the “tricycle”. It is a single motorcycle with an attached side-car. The minimum fare is Php 8.00 for the first 3 kilometers. The driver may ask for more depending on how far the destination is. Be careful in dealing with tricycle drivers as some of them tend to extort locals and tourists.
All Yoga Teacher Training students shall receive a kit containing the following items: a hard copy of Teaching Yoga by Mark Stephens, notebook, pen, white shirt, flash drive with supplemental readings, neti pot, and a canvass tote bag.
Security and Safety
General Santos City is generally safe and you may roam the city during your free time. However, as with any other city in the world, please exercise caution when exploring the city. Avoid isolated areas especially after dark. In the interest of safety and security, please consult with us first if you wish to visit a particular location.
Most hygiene items and everyday medications can be purchased in General Santos. Yoga mats and towels can be purchased locally as well. Please pack the following items for your convenience:
- Light and comfortable clothes suitable for yoga and for tropical weather
- Outdoor shoes for excursions and flip-flops for indoors
- Preferred hygiene items and toiletries, mosquito repellant, sunscreen
- Personal medications
- Mobile phone, tablet or laptop to access e-books
- Charger and international adaptor
- Yoga mat and towel
Student Services & Contact Information
For other inquiries and special requests for your stay with Bodhi Yoga center, kindly contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We understand that taking a month-long training is a big decision! We want you to know that we’re here to listen. If you have any queries or conflicts about this program, we would be happy to hear them. Please let us know by using the form below.